The new community of Welborne will be located in an area of almost 1,000 acres north of Fareham in Hampshire.
Fareham Borough Council’s plans for a new town have been in development over a number of years. The Council’s “Welborne Plan” was approved by the Government Inspector and adopted by the Council in June 2015.
We started working on an outline planning application, but our original programme was delayed when the Council announced they would no longer be engaging with us in the planning application process and, by January 2016, formally proceeded with their plans to seek a development partner and potentially obtain the entire site via a Compulsory Purchase Order (CPO). Our commitment to delivery and long term involvement means we have continued with our application and have now reached completion of our framework plans, submitting our Outline Planning Application for Welborne to Fareham Borough Council on Monday 6th March 2017.
Welborne will include the following:
- Up to 6,000 homes – a wide range of housing including up to 30% provision for affordable homes
- Education facilities – one secondary school and three primary schools
- Retail and leisure provided by a district centre and village centre with market square
- Parks, playing fields plus formal and informal open space and a network of green walks
- New job opportunities will be created from the commercial and business centre together with employment areas
- A network of pedestrian and cycle routes allowing movement within Welborne and connections to Fareham and other local areas
- Public transport links in close proximity to housing to enable quick and easy travel to and from the Welborne employment areas, plus connections to Fareham and beyond.
The key public sector organisations that we have engaged with on Welborne include:
- Fareham Borough Council
- Solent Local Enterprise Partnership
- Hampshire County Council
- Natural England
- Environment Agency
- Highways England
- Homes and Community Agency (HCA)
- Clinical Commissioning Groups
We have also established a new Community Liaison Group with representatives from local residents’ groups and Parish Councils.